Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Case of the Missing Venue

The Kids

I am now in possession of the map that the City Planning Office so kindly prepared, marking off the areas and the numbers of low income families with children between 6 to 14 years old.  From what I can gather from this map, there are a lot of poor families spread pretty evenly across the city, but there are about three areas with significantly high numbers.   No real surprises there.  My next step will be to figure out what services are available in all the noted areas of the city (not just the three biggies) and find the area where the kids need City Kidz the most. Unfortunately, even though I’d love to be able to reach every child that I can, I can only pick one area to reach children.  I don’t have the manpower to reach an entire city YET.

The colours represent numbers.  The darker the colour the higher the number, eg brown equals 600+ children in low income families that live in that area - there's more to this map that's not been depicted in this photograph

 

The Location

Have you ever had a sense that you knew something was there, but you just couldn’t find it?  That’s pretty much how I’ve been feeling lately as I continue my search for a venue to hold City Kidz Ottawa.  I’ve called the city community and recreation centres and they’re not too encouraging because our program is to be held on Saturdays and they’re booked SOLID.  I’ve also tried calling the school board, and am getting basically the same response.  But I KNOW that there’s something out there for us SOMEWHERE.   I have this sense that the place is going to pop out of nowhere one of these days and I’m going to say, okay!  How simple was that!  Yes, I AM  a POSITIVE thinker.  Any thoughts????

One consideration, only to find out that it was closed on Saturday, had no storage and only a small room that would hold about 50 available.

Volunteers

Still only one very hardworking and dedicated volunteer.  Any others?

...And ONE for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment